Monday, July 28, 2008

Without music, life would be a mistake.

I'm a HUGE music geek. I've played the piano and the alto sax since I was in 4th grade, was in almost every band in high school (go Mount marching band/jazz ensemble!), am learning to play the guitar, and loveeee to go to concerts. I also have 8729 songs on my computer... thank you iTunes. And the title quote is from Nietzsche, also one of my senior quotes.

When the end of the season came about, I made this little playlist for my Sabres believing hopes, etc. Because my friends and I are pretty much dorks, we would play the songs before games to get all pumped up and the like. Corny, but it was fun.

I decided that I was going to post it, and after editing it a little so it's not so playoff-y, it's finally here... my Sabres and also Buffalo playlist!

"Buffalo is a big city and a small town at the same time. There are neighborhoods and families, that kind of thing. There's always a bit of optimism in Buffalo. It's a city of survivors."

1. I Love This Town - Bon Jovi
I always knew, that I'd like this place/You don't have to look too far, to find a friendly face
I feel alive when I'm walkin' on the street/I feel the heart of the city poundin' underneath my feet


2. Sabre Dance
self explanatory.

3. I Feel Home - O.A.R.
We got nothing to do, and I look at you/I see something that I know and love.
and with the crack of a smile we all stay a while/we know from home there ain't nothing above.


4. My Town - Michael Stanley Band
This town--is my town/She's got her ups and downs
But love or hate it--it don't matter/'cause this is my town


5. Better Days - Goo Goo Dolls
also self explanatory.

6. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
everyone knows these lyrics!

7. Beautiful - Flickerstick
the goal song towards the end of the season, and I fell in love with it.

8. Sabres Song - Picture This
this was in the 97 Rock Sabres song contest, and it was done by some former members of my favorite local band (which is now back together again I guess...)
it's 4 below in Buffalo and we're at the game tonight/our jersey's on, we're screaming loud
the red light's on with every goal we score/we'll scream yeah, we want more

9. City Of Blinding Lights - U2
just a favorite, when the Sabres would skate onto the ice to this great song :)

10. This Is Our Town - We The Kings
Cause this is our town/This is who we're meant to be/This is our town
We're our roots have grown so deep/All I ask is that you'll be here when I return


11. Hurricane 2000 - Scorpions
you know it's game time with this song.

12. "Sabres Delight" Rap - WGR
if you haven't heard it before, you need to. it's a much quoted production from Nick Mendola!

13. Days (live at High Fidelity: Rochester, NY) - Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers
a live one from my favorite band...it's a great upbeat song about believing and when things are good (though it has some extras and is 12 minutes long oops!)

You relieve the clouds of rain/You remind me that they'll be other days
And it goes without saying, if you should catch me praying/it's for days just like this one today


So I hope you enjoy them! I think soon, I'm going to make a post of my favorite music. Because if there are two loves in my life, it's hockey and music.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Good songs. I'll have to hit up iTunes to check out a few of those I've never heard before. Who doesn't need some sweet jams to get pumped up to before a game? I have my "Sabres" playlist on my iPod. WOO!

Mary said...

Anne, you don't have to go to iTunes... the links there are all set for you to download! :)

dani said...

I love Sabres Delight and any other parody WGR makes. And the Sabre Dance perks me up whenever I hear it!

(I like your background-- I'm a little late)

Mary said...

I love Sabres Delight so much... and basically every other thing by WGR too. And who doesn't love the Sabre Dance?!

hahah, thanks Dani!

Post a Comment