Friday, August 15, 2008

I have a problem.

I have to admit, I am not a huge Olympics person. I don't really know why, but I rarely ever watched any games, whether summer or winter. For some reason I started really watching this year... now I would like to say that I'm ADDICTED.
I wake up to get ready for work at 6 in the morning (today's the last dayyyy!), yet I still watch until the very end. Hi, my name is Mary, and I am an Olympics junkie.

- There has been a lot that's great so far. First of all, there's the rowing. My brother rows for Canisius HS and then for West Side Rowing Club in the summer, and it's practically all my parents ever talk about. With Steve Coppola, a West Side guy competing for USA, it's like he's a family member. I've met him at various crew events, and he's another great Buffalo guy. His men's eight boat is defending the gold medal from the Athens games; after winning the repechage on Tuesday, they're moving on to the finals on Sunday. I know that in this house, we'll all be keeping track of that!

- Then of course, there's swimming. That 4x100m relay, like most people have said, was crazy. I think with all the screaming, we woke up the whole neighborhood. Since I'm mostly a Olympics newbie, it was one of the best events I've seen. The trash talking from the French, the epic goal of Michael Phelps, how we weren't supposed to win, etc. Pretty awesome.

I love facial expressions.

- ANDDD... speaking of Michael Phelps and his record breaking amount of medals, the analysis of how he is a perfect swimmer made me laugh. They covered a lot of ground, like the fact that he has the legs of a 6' tall man, but a torso of a 6'8" man to help him push off the wall, and "dinner size plate" hands and size 14 feet to use as paddles. All they needed to add was that he takes his dog Splash* out for a walk every 3 hours, calls his mom everyday and then they'd have every known fact about the guy. Whatever, NBC.

and then with his 800 foot wingspan, he flew himself to Bejing to cut down on carbon emissions and smog.

- Oh, and Hungarian weight lifting. That's all that needs to be said. Ew.

In other news besides the Olympics, my sister and I made a video to enter a meet and greet contest for the Jonas Brothers. I'm being totally serious. I was a JoBros fan before they were dropped from Columbia and signed with Disney's Hollywood Records (they were pretty great in concert opening for The Veronicas way back when!), and we thought it'd be funny to do it. I think it's too late for consideration, but it's great. We're our own sisterly band looking for our competition/another family band, and we "travel" to NJ and other places to try and find them. I'm surprised we actually even did it, but it was fun.

This Puck Drop Sabres event sounds pretty awesome. I'm hoping I can come home for it, because who can miss training camp and all that other fun stuff. It's going to be a mad house with the tickets on sale and then everything else, but that basically sums up my fan status.

In closing, reader from Gilbratar, you are awesome.

* I don't know his dog's name, and if he even has a dog. I feel like it's stereotypically fitting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment