Monday, October 13, 2008

I don't like matinee games...

...But this is fun. I wasn't happy walking to class at 2:30, but coming back to the end of the 2nd with a 5-0 lead is awesome. Maybe not having Columbus Day off after all isn't so bad.

Even though I missed most of the game, it seemed like the Islanders just completely fell apart. There was no defense in front of Joey MacDonald, and can you even name scorers or highly offensive members of the team? (the closest is Mike Comrie and he doesn't count since he's the only on people know.)

The last parts of the game that I caught were interesting, to say the least. First of all, let's hope that Jochen is okay. But I had to catch up on what had happened, including the fights. (It's on YouTube of course...) I did see Adam Mair coming back on the ice, then back on the bench, then into the penalty box, then back to the dressing room and knew I had missed something spectacular!



There's just something about a fight and teammates standing up for each other that I really love. The high scoring and players contributing is great, no doubt, but that close knit factor is something that doesn't happen everywhere, especially with a new player. It's a great sign of things to come.

Oh, and has anyone watched hockey on Versus yet? I did though I'm not the biggest fan of the announcing, but there's a commercial for a sports style The Soup show... called Sports Soup. Anyway, I don't know if I'll check it out or not, but one of the commercials talks about what's going on in sports. A number of sports have a person represented, including hockey. What hockey says is, "I've got a line brawl in Buffalo, two Finns jumped on a Swede." I laughed, because immediately I thought Swede = Henrik Tallinder. Then Finns = Teppo Numminen and Toni Lydman. It doesn't really work in that case because they wouldn't fight each other, but it was amusing nonetheless.

I am in shock that Alexei Cherepanov died of cardiac arrest. According to TSN, he collapsed at what is said to be the end of a KHL game, and no portable defibrillator was available before the ambulance arrived.
More information'll become available, but that is just so sad. He was 19, I'm 19, and I can't grasp that fact. He had so much talent and so young. Just a horrible situation, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and teammates.

1 comments:

Shelby said...

I don't like Jagr, but...I can't even begin to imagine how he feels right now. No player should have to live with the fact that he could've possibly been the cause of another player's death, that is so unbelievably awful. The poor kid was too young to die. ):

Post a Comment