Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Oh my god I thought my iPod just died because it wouldn't start. Leaving it alone for 5 minutes evidently does the trick. Thank goodness because I don't have any money to spend on a new one, and I am attached to my iPod like no other.

I'm pretty sure it was the same for everyone, but there was just something so awesome about yesterday. I was so excited the whole week, and Friday my mind was just "hockeyhockeyhockey!" But once game time came around, there was just so much more. It was our hockey back after a long offseason, it was the city back together supporting their team and in some cases, their life... this opener just seemed to be different than others. And look how it turned out...

- Did anyone else LOL when RJ announced Toni-Bon Jovi, he didn't come out right away, and everyone was like, "Um, where is he?" I guess everything can't go perfectly.

- Speaking of, when the power play clock didn't show up, I thought they had eliminated it or something. Way to freak me out, guys. Turns out it was just a technical issue... they had quite a few of them. Especially when it stopped playing the game and went black, then when it came back on Vanek was in the box. My TV, Dish Network, or MSG? We'll never know.

- Can I just say I love Teppo? I'm so happy that he's back, and the little interview that was played/is online was great. I even went and found his TBN poster from way back in the day (yeah, I pretty much have every one in my "Sabres box". This thing is filled with the posters and some other articles, autographed stuff, the ticket stubs from games I've been to, pom poms and posters... it's heavy!)

I'm so excited I can't even take a picture the right way! (It was a strategic placement though, no one wants to see the zit on my chin.)

- RJ had some good lines last night: "A little lovin' going on around the boards." "He dropped faster than the Dow!" "Toni on the spot"... This is what I've missed.

- I think my new shirt is a good sign of the season to come. I couldn't pass up a $5 shirt at the Sabres store, and now it may just be lucky.

What I remember as not so good: the failure of a power play (o-6, really?), the fact that Tim Connolly needs to be put in a bubble/leave (because we know he won't stop partying, though the whole back thing might explain him laying on bar floors), and commercials that I already hate (HSBC logging commercial?)

What I remember as good: Miller and Vanek back to their old selves, winning a shootout!, keeping the Montreal to 3 shots on 4 power plays (6 minutes total), Toni's save, seeing players step up and really playing hard (Paille, Clarkie), pretty solid D (besides the Montreal goal) and just a pretty awesome game in general!

It was a great game to watch and great for an opener, even with the low score. The team looked like they were ready for hockey again, and it showed through the hard work and the effort that they put out. Love it.

Now... about Monday. What kind of school/college doesn't give Columbus Day off? I know we didn't have it last year, but I have my only class of the day at 2:30. Until 4. Basically I'm missing a good chunk of the game once I get out. I'm glad I'm already missing a game... but now that I think about it, might be missing a game ;)

Good weekend though. Great opener for the season, awesome weather at home, and I'm already making money selling the first Jonas Brothers CD on eBay. Yeah, I actually bought it back then, and at the moment it's at about $26 with 8 days left. Others were going for about $100 at the end of the auction! Plus, Ray LaMontagne's new CD is awesome, and I'm also not dead last with my fantasy hockey teams like I was with my one team last year! I'm on a roll.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Did anyone else LOL when RJ announced Toni-Bon Jovi, he didn't come out right away

Everyone I was watching with got a good laugh out of that one!

when the power play clock didn't show up, I thought they had eliminated it or something. Way to freak me out, guys.

I was having a spaz attack when I thought they had decided to do away with it. I never knew how much I appreciated a good penalty clock until then.

Mary said...

It wasn't even a short time either. Too funny!

Me too, I thought they had just gotten rid of it in place of the new looking clock or something. It's all about the little things in life!

Post a Comment